Lead Wiping Workshop
Traditional lead has been used by early auto manufacturers to cover body joins and seams. At the time this was the only material available for the job. It has been regarded as the best method to do so, and in most cases has lasted the test of time. Later in the 1950's lead was heavily used by the pioneers of car customisation and hence the term "lead sled" was then derived. When it comes time to restore a vehicle, lead has its place for an authentic project.
Lead, as a filler material has advantages over more modern “plastic” fillers. The “Art” of lead loading can continue with the right skill and knowledge, more importantly that restoration project can have a new lease on life and be preserved for decades to come.
This workshop is designed to cover the fundamentals of lead wiping for automotive restoration.
Participants will learn the advantages of lead, and its appropriate use. You will walk away with principles and techniques that can be applied immediately to complete that restoration project. This is a hands on experience.
What you will learn:
- Where and why to use lead and other body fillers
- The difference between lead and body filler
- How to lead load horizontal and vertical
- How to clean surfaces before and after application
- The chemistry on lead adhesion to metal
- How to accurately identify the size of the repair
- How to interpret and check for correct shape
- Occupational Health and safety issues
Duration: 4 hours
Location: Melomotive, Unit 6 / 8 Stockyard Place, West Gosford, NSW
Price: $225 per person. Includes refreshments.
Date: Saturday 20th May 2023
Time: 9am - 1pm
* Terms and Conditions of purchase:
Please note workshop bookings cannot be refunded. Any cancellation made prior to event date, will be held in customer credit for future workshop date. If unable to attend future workshop date, credit can be allocated to purchase of product to equal value of workshop fee.