RustBlast Powder is a completely soluble, crystalline-granular product that, when dissolved in water, produces a safe, powerful and reusable soak solution for removing corrosion from ferrous metal surfaces. RustBlast Powder uses selective chelation; a non-destructive chemical process which separates iron oxides and hydroxides – also known as rust – from the base metal. Unlike acidic rust removers, RustBlast Powder will not damage the substrate metal.
RustBlast Powder is also an ideal pre-treatment process prior to the KBS Fuel Tank Sealant Kit, especially for extremely rusted fuel tanks.
How to use RustBlast Powder
Dissolve 1kg of RustBlast Powder in up to 19L of water. Use warm to hot tap water to speed the solubilisation process. If a smaller volume of soak solution is required a 5% solution by weight is recommended (1 part RustBlast Powder to 19 parts water).
For most applications, a 5% solution is sufficient but higher concentrations may be used for heavy corrosion.
- Dirt, grease, oil and other contaminants should be removed from items to be treated. KBS AquaKlean is ideal for this purpose.
- Loose or flaky rust should be removed mechanically where possible prior to treatment.
- The rusted surface must be completely submerged in the soak solution. Inspect the item periodically and brush with a stiff-bristled brush to remove loosened rust and surface build up. Continue soaking until the surface is clean and rust free. When all of the rust has been removed, rinse the metal pieces with water, brush as necessary and force dry.
RustBlast Powder soak solution will work in as little as 20 minutes for light rust or overnight for heavy rusted metal.
Speed of rust removal action is temperature dependent; warm = faster, cold = slower. Very fast rust removal can be achieved by heating the soak solution to 50-70 deg C using an immersion heater.
The soak solution may be re-used until its colour changes to very dark yellow / black.
Note that use of RustBlast Powder soak solution does not etch metal surface, so treatment with KBS RustBlast (liquid) is required prior to application of KBS RustSeal.
Metals containing zinc, lead, tin or alloys thereof should not be treated with RustBlast Powder.
The soak solution created by RustBlast Powder will safely remove light to heavy rust from metal surfaces. Will not affect plastic, PVC, viton and most paints.
- fast, efficient and complete rust removal action
- easy and safe to use
- will not harm non-rusted metal
- ideal for intricate and complex parts – will penetrate into crevices for complete corrosion removal
- ideal for delicate parts – will not harm or distort substrate
- reusable and biodegradeable
- non-toxic, non-hazardous, non-flammable (no fumes, no bad odours, no VOCs)
- Will not harm glass, rubber, plastics, aluminium, paint or chrome
- Complete removal of rust from delicate or intricate parts
- An alternative to abrasive blasting to avoid residual grit
- Restoring and freeing up rusted tools
- Effortlessly removing rust from fuel tanks (excellent pre-preparation step for KBS Fuel Tank Sealant Kit)
QTY: 1 kg